Today, Monday 13th May marks the start of foster care fortnight – an annual campaign to raise awareness of and recruit more foster parents to care for some of the most vulnerable children in Derby.
- You can change lives. We know that fostering can have huge benefits, not just to the child or young person but to the foster parents. Fostering really does change lives.
- The children and young people in our care are from a diverse range of backgrounds and we need foster carers from all walks of life to ensure their needs are met. As long as you’re over 21 and have a spare bedroom, you can probably foster.
- Your relationship status, sexuality, religious beliefs or even renting your home isn’t a barrier to fostering.
- If you already have your own children, your experience as a parent could make you the ideal candidate to become a foster carer.
- Fostering is more than just having a child or young person live with you. You could be a respite or short break foster parent – this is when you look after a child at evenings, weekends or set holidays to give birth parents or other foster carers a break from providing full-time care.
- You could be caring for your first child in a matter of months. From the point of application we aim to complete the assessment process in up to six months.
- We pride ourselves on the outstanding support we offer our foster carers and will make sure that you are fully prepared and supported to fulfil this role. Our foster parents have their own dedicated social worker to support you at every step and access to a 24/7 support and advice line.
- All training you may need is provided and includes; tailored pre-approval training, access to ongoing training to develop your skills once you are approved, linked to payment for skills and the opportunity for career progression and recognised qualifications.
- Weekly allowances for caring for our children start at £149.51 rising to £257.93. We also provide additional allowances for holidays, birthdays and travel expenses.
- Approved foster carers also get access to; Plus One Scheme – free theatre tickets and performing arts classes, Max Cards – to obtain free/discounted admission to a variety of national attractions and Derby Active Recreation Leisure Card – for discounted leisure activities in Derby.
- We need to recruit at least 30 new fostering households in the next 12 months – if you’re reading this, we believe that could be you!
- Right now, we have over 500 children in our care who need foster parents to support them through challenging and exciting times in their lives.
- Don’t just take our word for it. You can listen to what our existing foster carers have to say, below.
- If that’s not enough reasons, why not come and talk to us at our informal information event, taking place on Tuesday 21st May at the Enterprise Centre on Bridge Street. Just let us know if you’re coming along so we have enough tea and biscuits!
Lauren Ratcliffe – Foster Carer
“Growing up with my family being a Fostering family led me to want to also make a change to many childrens’ lives. My family began fostering when I was just 4 years old and I have such happy memories of sharing my childhood with many children, from many walks of life. As an adult, becoming a Foster carer was just second nature. To be able to help a child find their childhood and support them through whatever they are facing is not easy, but the rewards are plenty with each smile that you see”