Ever wondered just how true those myths about household pests really are? Our pest control officers have shed some light on the most common ones!
- Mice Love Cheese: Actually, mice prefer food with higher sugar content, like dried fruits or peanut butter.
- Moles are Blind: Though you may be hard-pressed to actually find the eyes on a mole, they exist and they work just fine. Moles only use their eyes for sensing light, and rely on their other senses to get around.
- Clean Houses are Pest-Free: Pests don’t really care how clean your home is; they’re just looking for shelter and nesting sites, and those can be found in all houses.
- Bees Can Only Sting Once: It is true that honey bees are only able to sting once, however, other species of bee and wasps can sting repeatedly.
- Rats are Dirty: Although rats can transmit nasty diseases including; Leptospirosis or Weil’s disease through their urine, they actually spend 60% of their time cleaning both themselves and other rats.
- Ants only like sugary foods: Although ants prefer foods with a high sugar content, they will eat just about anything, which is why it’s important to keep kitchens clean and any food well sealed.
- Bed Bugs are Only Found in Cheap Hotels: Unfortunately, bed bugs can be found in any hotel, from a youth hostel to the most expensive, boutique hotels. Bed bugs are most commonly transmitted via people’s luggage.
- Fleas will Die without a Host: Unfortunately, fleas are very capable of living long periods of time without a host. They can even live dormant in a property with no other inhabitants.
- I Can Take Care of Pests Myself: You may think you can get rid of pests more cheaply by doing it yourself, but you might actually save time, money and frustration by consulting a professional pest control company. Remember: Insecticides are harmful and if used incorrectly, they could cause damage to yourself, your pets or your home.