A series of events in support of carers are taking place in Derby during the week of June 12th to 16th to recognise their value and importance to families and communities.
It is estimated that about 6.5 million people in the UK are carers for older, seriously ill or disabled family members or friends.
As our population ages and people live longer, often with complex health conditions, more and more of us will find ourselves caring. Yet many still see caring as a private matter.
This annual campaign this year focuses on creating carer friendly communities where people and services support carers.
Among the events taking place is an afternoon tea party at Derbyshire County Cricket Club on June 15th where there will be information stands and an introduction to reiki, the Japanese technique for stress reduction and relaxation.
Other events include coffee mornings and a pub lunch at the White Swan Pub, Littleover.
Kirsty McMillan, Derby City Council’s Service Director for Integration and Director Services, said:
‘Derby City Council is delighted to support the important work of carers in our communities.
‘Carers Week is an opportunity to celebrate all that Carers do every day to support their families and friends.’
Derbyshire Carers Week is supported by Derbyshire Carers Association, Making Space, Creative Carers, Age UK Derby & Derbyshire and Derby Choice and Derby City Council.
All these organisations provide services for carers and are working together in Derby to support carers to live well.
Caroline Abrahams, Charity Director at Age UK said:
‘Caring for someone is a tough job which places a heavy and emotional toll.
‘All carers need our support – whether individually with us all trying to help out or at a society level with Government and Local Authorities making sure that respite services are readily available and employers offer flexible working arrangements.
‘Age UK provides independent information and advice to help carers and their families.’
Carers Week 2017 Calendar of Events
- Monday 12th June: Relaxation and Information Day – Post Mill Centre, South Normanton, 10.00am-3.00pm. Hosted by Derbyshire Carers Association.
- Tuesday 13th June: Information Drop In – at the Age UK Derby Office, 15 The Morledge, Derby. 10.00am-12noon.
- Wednesday 14th June: Relaxation and Mindfulness at Hilton Village Hall. 11.00am-1.00pm. Hosted by Umbrella, the parent and carer support group.
- Lunch at the White Swan, Littleover, 12noon-2.00pm. Hosted by Umbrella. Attendees can purchase own food.
- Thursday 15th June: coffee morning 10.00am-12noon at Haven House, 31 Charnwood St, Derby. Hosted by Creative Carers.
- Thursday 15th June: information drop in Denby Pottery, from 12noon. Hosted by Umbrella.
- Thursday 15th June: afternoon tea party at Derbyshire County Cricket Club, 1.00pm-3.00pm. Derbyshire Carers will be hosting information stands and taster sessions for reiki. Entrance £5. Free parking is available.
- Friday 16th June: coffee morning from 10.00am-12noon at Haven House, 31 Charnwood St, Derby. Hosted by Creative Carers.