Businesses in Derby are being encouraged to join up to the Trading Standards ‘Buy with Confidence’ scheme to help consumers make confident choices and avoid being ripped off.
The scheme was put together by a partnership of Local Authority Trading Standards Services in response to concerns about ‘rogue traders’. The scheme provides consumers with a list of businesses which have given their commitment to trading fairly.
Unlike other schemes that only run basic background checks, every business listed has undergone a series of detailed checks by professionally qualified Trading Standards professionals before being approved as a member of the scheme.
Other benefits of joining the scheme include:
- directory listing on Buy with Confidence website used by the public to find dependable businesses
- get a Trading Standards check-up before admission to ensure you’re legally compliant
- use of the Buy with Confidence logo
- set yourself apart from competitors – only those good enough to pass vetting get onto the scheme
- open to most business sectors, not just home improvement or the motor trade
- access to advice direct from local authority employed Trading Standards professionals
- get information about changes to the law that could affect your business
- not for profit – run by local authorities, so all fees go back into the running and promotion of the scheme
- help protect your community from rogue traders and illegitimate businesses.
Councillor Matthew Holmes, Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Public Protection commented:
“We’ve seen recently how fake reviews online can trick consumers into thinking they’re getting a top quality product or service when they aren’t. We also know that rogue traders can cause misery for the people they rip-off. I’d encourage businesses in Derby to get in touch and join the scheme so they can reassure customers that they’re trustworthy and provide good customer service.”
What do our members say?
“Being part of Derby City Buy with Confidence makes me proud to know we are at the highest level of workmanship and quality. Also having the online feedback for customers gives us opportunities to further improve or let us know we are still on the right track. Customers recognise the trading standards logo and know they won’t be a victim of a bad trader”
Marc Wright, Digital Aerial Installations Ltd
“I joined Buy with Confidence to give the customers confidence of getting a quality tradesman and to promote my skills. Also the support from Trading Standards if there are any problems”
Andrew Sheasby, Sheasby and Son Decorators
“We joined the scheme to offer our customers some reassurance that we are a retailer you can trust and that we take customer care seriously. The advice and support we have received as a member has really helped us as a small business to ensure our policies and procedures are all to the correct standard. It has also given us confidence to deal with complaints more effectively and as a result our business has become more efficient”
Bronya Barlow, Floor Factory