The Mayor of Derby, Councillor Mike Carr, has today officially opened Riverside Library at the Council House as Derby City Council continues to develop a successful modern and sustainable service for library users.
To mark the opening we’re giving visitors the chance to explore its services with a host of free taster sessions and author talks and this morning, pupils from Beckett School attended a session with poet Chris White as part of the run up to the Summer Reading Challenge whilst babies and toddlers took part in ‘Shake Rattle and Rhymetime’
Visitors can expect a bright and open space, including a children’s area for families, access to computers and space to sit and read and as well as receiving a service they are used to, such as borrowing books, customers can expect more events and activities from their city centre library which will also offer a self-service system and longer opening hours.
Councillor Chris Poulter, Leader of Derby City Council, said:
“We are going beyond loaning books and more towards providing a hub for the local community.
The Council wants to provide people of all ages and backgrounds with opportunities to learn and maybe even discover talents they never realised they had. Sessions will give customers the chance to meet new people and talk to others with similar interests.
We’re also pleased Riverside Library is opening in time for starting this year’s Summer Reading Challenge, which we know so many children in Derby love to get involved in. We hope to see lots of them on 14th July as part of Chris White’s interactive poetry and cartoon roadshow.”
Councillor Alan Grimadell, Cabinet Member for Leisure Culture and Tourism, said:
“We look forward to welcoming people through the doors at Riverside Library where Derby Libraries will continue to offer a valuable service for the local community.
With more sessions to suit a variety of interests, including reading, writing and computers, the library will be a place for people to discover something new, as well as borrow books.”
Riverside Library will specialise in providing resources on culture, literature and art as part of a decision for every Council run library in Derby to have a specialist theme. Customers can find out more about this by talking to library staff at the library.
Riverside Library will be located on the ground floor of the Council House and opening times will be:
- Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.00pm
- Saturday 9.00am to 1.00pm.
The following activities will be taking place as part of the opening and booking is not necessary:
- Free wellbeing MOT, includes taking blood pressure, BMI and lung age – Wednesday 4th July, drop in any time
- Meet Andy Cope, author of Spy Dog and The Art of Being Brilliant – Saturday 7th July, 11.00am to 12.00noon
- Poetry night with Trevor Wright and other local poets – Thursday 12th July, 6.00pm to 7.30pm
- Mischief Makers Summer Reading Challenge launch: Chris White’s interactive poetry and cartoon roadshow, Saturday 14th July, 11.00am to 12.00noon
- Code Club Taster Session, for children looking to learn about computer coding, Saturday 7th July, 10.00am to 11.00am and 11.30am to 12.30pm
For more information, including details of the sessions, please visit our website.