During the summer months, Rogue traders will be out looking for business. Our Trading Standards team are reminding home owners and residents not to engage with traders on the doorstep.
With the recent warm weather, our Trading Standards team has been made aware of doorstep traders operating in the area. Many of these traders may not be legitimate, which means residents are running the risk of overpaying for work they did not need completing in the first place.
The biggest areas of complaints are about roofing work, closely followed by tarmacking, driveways and paving. Other areas of concern include wall coating (insulating/thermal paint), glazing and gardening work.
Help people spot the signs, and keep you and your neighbours safe by looking out for;
- Traders cold calling in the area
- Builder’s vans parked nearby, particularly ones that don’t include a company name or contact details
- Building or maintenance work on your neighbour’s garden or house starting unexpectedly
- Poor quality work visible on the roof, driveway, or property
- Your neighbour appearing anxious or distressed
- Your neighbour visiting the bank, building society, or post office more frequently, particularly if they are accompanied by a trader
If you’re looking to have work done can find a reputable trader via the Buy With Confidence approved trader scheme which is supported by Derby City Council or Derbyshire County Council’s Trusted Trader scheme.
If you would like to report a problem with a doorstep trader then please contact Citizens Advice on: 03454 04 05 06
To stay up to date with News from the Derby City Council Trading Standards team, including local rogue trader alerts on Facebook by liking their page.