Derby LIVE is pleased to announce it will once again be working with FOLK 3D and The Lost Boys Theatre Company, along with local schools and community groups to deliver an annual feast of family fun this coming St George’s Day weekend. The free city centre celebrations will be taking place on Saturday 21st April between 11.00am and 3.30pm.
This day of celebrating Merrie Olde England will include Morris dancing, a craft fair, a parade, and plenty of eccentricity. From The Lost Boys Theatre Company’s tongue-in-cheek re-telling of St George and the Dragon, to a Flash Mob Ceilidh, to Sword Dancers there’ll be no shortage of fun.
FOLK 3D, with funding support from Heritage Lottery Fund is working with a variety of community groups and two schools to create performances for the celebrations. These groups have been exploring traditional folk dance, song and drama, learning some of the old and creating some new.
FOLK 3D create exciting and innovative folk arts programme with schools and communities. Working with FOLK 3D students from Becket Primary School will be making their first appearance in a sword dancing display, and Wyndham Primary Academy will be returning to present audiences with a broom dancing display. Audiences can enjoy the Derbyshire May Carol and the Derby Ram from Sing Viva, Sinfonia Viva’s Carers’ Choir as well as performances from Hubbub Theatre, No Limits Community Venture and Creative Carers from Haven House.
Throughout the day guests can enjoy events at the Market Place including free Have A Go Long Bow Archery from Reach the Core, the return of the Arts and Craft Fair and displays of Armour and Medieval Combat from the 14th century medieval combat group Team Falchion.
The annual St George’s Day parade will start at St Peter’s Churchyard at 11.30am. St George will lead the parade, winding through the city like a dragon’s tail to the Market Place Waterfall where the great tale will begin at 12noon.
The St George’s Day Celebrations will take place on Saturday 21st April in Derby City Centre, 11.00am – 3.30pm. The event is free to attend and the full programme is available on the Derby LIVE website.
St George’s Day Celebrations Programme
- 11.00am – Morris dance display at St Peter’s Cross.
- 11.30am – Starting at St Peter’s Churchyard, St George will lead the parade, winding through the city like a dragon’s tail to the Market Place Waterfall to start the great tale at 12 noon.
- 2.30pm – Morris dance displays at Sadler Gate and Corn Market
Waterfall Stage Show
- 11.00am – Threaded, Folk Trio.
- 12noon – A tongue-in-cheek re-telling of the story of St George and the Dragon from The Lost Boys.
- 12.20pm – Civic welcome
- 12.30pm – Hubbub Theatre’s The Hub perform a new take on traditional dance, song and theatre.
- 12.40pm – Becket Primary School Sword Dancers, making their first appearance.
- 12.45pm – Morris dance display
- 12.55pm – No Limits Mummers’ Play. A Mummers’ play is a traditional form of street theatre; this one has a new twist
- 1.05pm – Wyndham Primary Academy Broom Dancers, returning again for their 6th year
- 1.10pm – Morris dance display
- 1.20pm – Creative Carers from Haven House will share traditional and new songs, followed by their own version of a traditional Mummers’ Play.
- 1.35pm – Morris dance display
- 1.45pm – Sing Viva, Sinfonia Viva’s Carers’ Choir will sing the Derbyshire May Carol and the Derby Ram.
- 1.55pm – Morris dance display
- 2.05pm – Maypole – You are invited to join us in a dance around the Maypole. No experience required just join in and have fun or watch as the ribbons weave around the pole.
- 2.20pm – Flash Mob Ceilidh – grab a partner and dance to a live band – the caller will tell you what to do – great fun! Musicians welcome to join in.
Market Place Events
• Reach the Core are providing free Have A Go Long Bow Archery.
• The Arts and Craft Fair will return to the Market Place.
• Displays of Armour and Medieval Combat from 14th century medieval combat group Team Falchion.
Market Place Programme
- 11.00am, 12.50pm & 2.10pm – Circo Rum Ba Ba, Dragon Quest
- 12.30pm & 1.50pm – Team Falchion, medieval sword fighting display
- 1.20pm & 2.40pm – Hubbub Theatre, Village Green Antics