This year, Derby is taking part in a Voter ID pilot. This means that when you go to vote at a polling station on 2nd May 2019, you will be asked to show some form of identification (ID) before you are given your ballot paper.

Derby is one of nine cities taking part in the pilots this year. The pilots focus specifically on voter fraud at polling stations, where an individual pretends to be someone else (known as “personation”). Last year, five cities took part – you can read about their experience of the pilot online.

These pilots are spearheaded by the Cabinet Office, and aim to provide insight into how best to reduce the risk of voter fraud at polling stations.

From today, Derby residents will begin to receive letters through doors confirming who we have registered to vote at that address, together with a leaflet explaining Voter ID requirements for voting at a polling station.

What does this mean for you?

You will need to bring either one form of photo ID or two forms of non-photo ID when you go to the polling station to vote on 2nd May 2019. If you do not bring ID to polling stations, you will not be able to vote.

There will be no change to postal voting.

The most common photo ID types are likely to be passport, driving licence or Gold Card, and common non-photo ID types are things like your poll card or bank card.

If you don’t have ID you may be able to apply for a Certificate of Identity. For more information on this process, please visit our website, or contact the helpline on 01332 640837.

The current accepted ID types are listed at the bottom of this article. This list may be subject to change, but final details of the ID types will be on poll card letters, which all registered electors should receive by the end of March 2019.

Read some of our frequently asked questions online.

Carole Mills, Returning Officer for Derby said:

“Voter fraud undermines democracy, and takes away a person’s right to vote as they would like. The Cabinet Office is looking at ways to crack down on this, and these pilots will aid to inform how best to achieve that.

“It’s always tricky introducing such a big change, however it’s important for Derby to be involved in the process now; we have the unique opportunity of being able to shape how the scheme works.

“If the decision is taken to roll-out Voter ID nationally in the future, Derby will not simply have the decision imposed on us – we will have had the chance to influence and inform the scheme, to make sure it’s right for us.”

What ID can you bring?

Original documents must be presented at the polling station. Scanned or electronic copies will not be accepted. If using photo ID the photograph should be a ‘reasonable likeness’ to the voter.

Photo ID

If you’re taking photo ID, you’ll only need to bring one of the following with you to the polling station.

  • a passport issued by a Commonwealth country or a country within the European Economic Area
  • a photo card driving licence (including a provisional licence)
  • an electoral identity card (electoral identity card: Northern Ireland)
  • a biometric immigration document issued in the United Kingdom
  • an identity card issued in the European Economic Area which bears a photograph of the voter
  • a PASS scheme card (national proof of age standards scheme)
  • a Ministry of Defence Identity Card
  • a concessionary travel pass funded by HM Government
  • a Gold Card (bus pass)
  • a photo card parking permit issued as part of the Blue Badge scheme
  • an Oyster 60+ pass

You’ll need to bring two forms of non-photo ID in order to be issued a ballot paper. At least one of these must contain your registered name and address. Both documents must have your name.

Non-photo ID

  • a poll card for the election
  • a valid bank or building society debit card or credit card
  • a birth certificate
  • a marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate
  • an adoption certificate
  • a driving licence (including a provisional licence) which is not in the form of a photo card
  • a mortgage statement dated within 12 months of the date of the poll
  • a bank or building society statement, or a letter from the bank or building society confirming the opening of an account, dated within three months of the date of the poll
  • a bank or building society cheque book or building society passbook
  • a credit card statement dated within three months of the date of the poll
  • a council tax demand letter or statement dated within 12 months of the date of the poll
  • a utility bill dated within three months of the date of the poll
  • a Form P45 or Form P60 dated within 12 months of the date of the poll
  • a firearms certificate granted under the Firearms Act 1968
  • the record of a decision on bail made in respect of the voter
  • a statement of benefits or entitlement to benefits or a letter confirming entitlement to housing benefit
  • a student loan statement issued by the Student Loan Company dated within 12 months of the date of the poll.

For more information:

Visit our website

Call the elections team: 01332 640837